Friday, June 25, 2010

163 - 165: Start Spreading the News

So I've been here in New York for the past four days. Been staying with my brother Ipe in his apartment. And I've been watching Broadway shows everyday since I got here... Well, I'm all about the Broadway. I'm all about the theatre. I love it, what can I say? My family and friends basically work their away around my Broadway itinerary since it's an unmovable object in my New York raison d'etre. I just can't miss out on any opportunity to catch a show.



It's JOHNNY DEPP! Haha.

I'm catching 30 shows on this trip so I can officially seal my record and beat the shit out of my pal Felix who beat out my 22 musicals with his 23. Haha. Die bitch! So far... I've seen the following:

DAY 164 (Wednesday):

11am Imaginocean
RATING: 3/5
COMMENTS: Story is basic. Music is so-so. Black light show is amazing. It's a kid's show. And I think I was the only adult there who wasn't a chaperone of some kid. Haha. The bubble effect in the beginning of the show was a bit on the annoying side. Bubbles are fun but when they leave some kind of thick glow in the dark residue on your skin which stays on for the entirety of the show, you'll get annoyed. Apparently they put some chalk solution in the bubbles so your outfit, and your skin is covered in a sticky glow in the dark coating all throughout. annoying.


2pm Mary Poppins
RATING: 5/5
COMMENTS: I loved it. I absolutely loved it. I was about to bawl in several scenes, including the Feed the Birds Scene with the Old Lady, the family squabbles, when Mary Poppins left the family, and when Michael said... "Mary Poppins... I love you!" The whole theater literally went, "Awww...." It's a show from everyone's childhood. It brings you back to that time. I looked around and saw that it wasn't the kiddies who were crying... it was the parents, especially the dads. Woah. Gave me all the license to bawl. Hehe :)


8pm Memphis
RATING: 1/5
COMMENTS: Fucking boring. What a waste of my time! And I fell asleep. Sayang sa pera. Shet.


DAY 165: Thursday

8pm: Sonheim on Sondheim
RATING: 5/5
COMMENTS: Beautiful musical revue featuring the songs of Stephen Sondheim. It's basically an autobiographic piece on Sondheim's lionized career. The deconstructed digital set was amazing. And the cast was amazing. The counterpoints between his famous songs were amazing. And they performed several numbers from Merrily We Roll Along... the musical that defined my love and passion for theater, and that of my theater barkada's. We're all products of this musical and it was nice to see some of the scenes recreated on-stage... especially "Opening Doors."

"But that's just not a hum-mum-mum-mum-mum-mummable melody.."

Barbara Cook and my favorite Vanessa Williams aka Willemina Slater from Ugly Betty rocked!


WHAT I ATE TODAY:
DAY 163:
Breakfast:
none

Lunch:
none

Merienda:
Coffee

Dinner: Fred's @ Barneys
Spinach Fetuccini
2 Slices of Pizza Bianca
2 pieces of Bread
3 servings of calamares
Fries
Lemon Sorbet






DAY 164:
Breakfast:
none

Lunch:
Tall Cinnamon Dolce Latte from Starbucks
1 Slice White Cheese Pizza
1 Glass of Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice w/ Pulp



Dinner: Bon Chon!!!
1 Glass of Draft Beer
7 pcs. Bon Chon Chicken Wings





DAY 165:
Breakfast:
none

Lunch w/ Mia!!!
7 pcs. Tempura Roll
Mango Smoothie
Crappy Curry Noodles
1 Slice of White Cheese Pizza





Merienda: GROMS
Small Crema de Grome



Dinner:
none

Midnight Snack:
1 Glass of Draft Beer
Chicken Shawarma Wrap


EXERCISE:
walking?


SIGHTS AND SOUNDS:


Spiderman the Musical! Coming in November 2010. Apparently, it cost $50 million to mount this musical. Holy camote!

Mia and Jared

My brother Ipe... dressed to the nines!

Francis, Krista, Mia and Joe! Finally i met Joe! I love him!

- 2000 and Thin

No comments:

Post a Comment